Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Beverly Hillbillies

Here is the "cast"
Hubby - Uncle Jed
Daddy - Grandpappy
Mom - Aunt "whatever from Tenn."
Me - Granny Clampitt
Heather ( my oldest daughter ) - Ellie Mae
Reid ( my grandson )
Macy ( my granddaughter)

It is true. If you would have passed my parents van on Hwy 36 on our trip to Abilene you would have thought you saw them for sure. What a trip! Four generations were packed in the car. Along with all the essentials needed by each. We tried to pack light for it was just a 2 day trip. Hubby drove ( thank goodness) and Daddy rode shotgun. Then there is the car seat issue with Macy. So, she rode in the middle with Mom. Leaving Heather, Reid, and myself ( my claustrophobic self) in the last seat. I was pinned in next to the window and by the time we arrived (5 hours later ) I was all but in the fetal position . I am not a good traveler. But, I am especially not a good one when pinned in. Thank goodness for movies in the car and the all too FUN ...... Uno for the car game. Reid and I played that alot. If you haven't tried those car games....get one. We did have a wonderful trip and enjoyed being with Mitch our son and his beautiful & sweet wife, JD and the Reeses, who is my sister and family. I just wish that we all lived closer. We always have so much fun when we are together.

I remember lots of traveling when we were growing up. Since, Daddy was in the Air Force that made travel a way of life. We moved alot. And drove alot. Maybe that is why I hate it so now. I think I am the only sister that grew up to hate to travel. In fact, one sister just got back from backpacking around Europe. The other one loves to travel too but stays mostly busy traveling around dropping off and picking up teenagers now! Being the oldest sister I always got the pick of the seat so I can't complain about that. Or should I say being the meanest sister. We drove back to Texas from Anchorage, Alaska. When we were stationed in Penn. we drove to Texas for visits. With family in the Texas valley there were often trips from Central or West Texas down there. The valley trips rank right up there with the Abilene trips. A long way, no scenery, and long and HOT. Both sets of my Grandparents always lived away so there was travel to see them. Here I am YEARS later......married to a small town boy, raising all our children here....my parents within hollering distance. When my kids were growing up there was no need to go anywhere. We were all here! Family came to us!

Now, my children are grown and scattered away. Maternal withdrawals make travel a necessity both physically and mentally. I can only go so long without seeing my kids and grandbabes. So, like it or not I load up.

Can't help but think how nice it will be when we all get to Heaven. I have reserved a cul-de-sac address for us all. No more traveling!

Did I mention that at last count Macy asked a million times if we "were there yet"? And don't think you can ignore her or answer falsely. At four years old, she wants the truth! She wants comparisons and statistics. Then much like myself she collapses in a heap with a heavy sigh. I must say though that the grandchildren are great travelers. They entertained the miles away playing with their fancy technology gadgets, gizmos, and car tv movies. They rarely fussed or whined, especially not more than I did! They are great travelers and respectful kiddos thanks to their great mom and dad who have taught and continue to teach them to be that way. in "my day" we used to pass the hours traveling by playing wonderful games! We played "Riddle Me" and always tried to fool Mom & Dad by choosing objects they would never guess. Then there was the license plate game and the ABC game off the billboards. We played countless numbers of games of hangman, dots, & tic tac toe. And of course the quiet game, which none of us won. Who can forget all the family sing alongs? We knew every hymn in the book! That is where I learned to sing harmony in the car not on CMT. My own children, before seat belt laws, used to perform puppet shows from the back of the station wagon to cars behind us. They listened to their little cassette or was it 8 track recorders to storybooks on tape. They loved to sing in the car too. We could sing for hours. And sometimes did. They had a speak and spell they used to think was fun until they found out it was educational. Sometimes Barbie dolls and baseball cards filled the car. Mitch used to love a little baseball trivia! Times have changed.

So, until I learn how to blink and magically transport myself across the miles, I will have to live with and endure an occasional road trip. Now, though, instead of giving the kids benedryl and dramamine, I give it to myself.

2 comments:

Heather's House said...

YES!! It was a fun trip. We were all just about ready for some excitement and then the cop stopped us....fun times! HA HA Macy was crying hysterically from the back, "Please, don't take my Papaw to jail." Dad got lucky and only got a warning. I wouldn't have been that lucky. :)

Thanks for playing UNO with Reid for a few hours. I can't do that.....you don't want me to get car sick! :)

Miss you.....
Love, Heather

NanaWhitfield said...

Hey I loved every minute of it. Brought back many memories when you were younger. Not many are so lucky as I am--what with 3 wonderful daughters, 3 wonderful sons-in-law--9 wonderful grandkids, and then there are the 'perfect' greatgrandkids. I loved the trip and would do it in a minute if I could. I especially loved Macy telling the patrolman - "please don't take us all to jail." I am so blessed!!!!Nana