Saturday, March 31, 2007

Everyone Needs A Sallie

Some things just make me happy. My Sallie is one of those "things". She is a character as you can tell my the pictures. There are about 8 of us from our local congregation that hold Sunday morning Bible class at the local retirement home. When I volunteered to participate little did I know the joy and the happiness I would soon find. It's been over 2 years now that we have gone. Like "clockwork" we are there every Sunday at 9:30 AM. They are watching and waiting for us. They are up, dressed, and "wheeling" themselves, or being wheeled by one of us to come to Sunday School. Sallie usually seeks me out but we can't always sit together because I get tickled or she gets tickled. The world is a playground to Sallie. She walks around, pretty much unmonitored, but comfortable in her surroundings. She carries around an unlit cigarette. She doesn't mind it isn't lit. She "pretends". She whispers things in my ear that to her are all too clear and vivid. I know though that those things never happened. She imagines to see people. Oh there are some really good stories about Sallie. Some you wouldn't believe. She is my partner though. I look forward to seeing her everyweek. The only negative thing about this ministry that I have been able to find is that almost each week we come to find that someone has passed away. It is so sad for us. We have gotton to know them so well. I still look for one friend I called MamMaw and I still miss holding her hand during service. I know I'll miss Sallie. I hope God keeps her around here for a long time.








3 comments:

paul said...

The world is a big playground! Praise God for the loving ministry you do there!

Unknown said...

We are almost to the one-year anniversary of my grannie's journey home! Though I am so happy she is in heaven, with a perfect body and mind, I miss her. I used to take Jack over to the nursing home to see her and she just loved him. A couple of weeks ago, I had him, and I was over by the nursing home, so I stopped by and said hi to the nurses and some other familiar faces. We always went to see grannie, but it struck me how lonely so many of the people there looked. So, I made a promise to Jack. We will go to see these people more regularly. Have you ever watched a 95 year old interact with a 2-1/2 year old? It's heaven! Bless you for what you are doing!
Hugs!

Hoots Musings said...

Ah, what a sweet story and a wonderful ministry! That is awesome that you give of yourself.

Congrats on your retirement too!