Saturday, December 02, 2006

Bubble Lights

I'm not known for my great memory. In fact, I daily think that someone is zapping brain cells away and stealing my past. Every now and then something, a sound, a smell, a voice, a story, or just something random makes me pause and think about something that was a special memory. We were decorating the tree tonight and a rush of memories came back of all the many trees I have decorated. Or participated in decorating. We always had REAL trees. The smell of usually cedar fills my brain with the sights and sounds of Christmas. We always had the most special Christmases. My parents made sure of that. When I became a parent, I started my own Christmas memories but they always included my parents, sisters, neices, nephews and now grandchildren. I have found that it is lots of work, anticipation, shopping, and cooking. I wouldn't have it any other way. We grew up decorating the tree and hanging the stockings and that was it. That was all anyone ever did. Wham.....bam......we were done. Now, don't ask me who started this, the whole house is a Christmas extravaganza. It takes me days to get the tree just right. Then the mantle. Then every nook and cranny of the house and porch is like the North Pole. I am not complaining I love it! When it is finished I bask in the wonder of it. I have parties, invite friends over, beg strangers in off the street, open the door to the neighborhood dogs. Anyone is welcome. There is nothing like it. I am NOT a perfectionist. I certainly am not. Everything turns out different every year. I can't remember one year to the next what went where. It makes it all seem new. So, if you are in the neighborhood, please stop by. I have a candy cane with your name on it.

Hot chocolate or eggnog? chocolate Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?Unwrapped every child's in a different location Colored lights on your tree/house or white? colored on the tree and white on the house Do you hang mistletoe? Yes, very realistic plastic When do you put up decorations? Christmas Music after T'giving, house decorations in the beginning of December, and full-on tree, etc, What does your favorite christmas meal include? Meal? Turkeys/ham/all the usual holiday casseroles/ tons of sweets and Aunt Kathy's sugar cookies Favorite christmas memory from childhood?Sleeping on the floor at Granny Price's watching the bubble lights on her "Charlie Brown" tree
How and when did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't remember. And I'm glad. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Kids, yes. Adults, no. How do you decorate your christmas tree? TONS AND TONS of decorations from Christmases past and present Snow! Love it or leave it? Love it, and miss it. But, hey, it's Central Texas Can you ice skate?In theory, yes, but I haven't done it in many years.
Do you remember your favorite gift? A real life baby doll from the "dime" store in Stephenville. And of course, my Barbie's wedding dress. What's the most important thing about christmas for you? I love being with family. All crowded and noisy. Gifts galore. And precious children with eyes wide. And of course the reason for all my season....SUMMER, WINTER, SPRING and FALL.......Jesus Christ What is your favorite christmas tradition? Making new ones every year. What tops your tree? An angel. What is your favorite christmas song? O'Holy Night. It breaks me to the very soul. I sob. But, I love them all.

What about you? Merry Christmas

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this post. Tonight, I caught a memory when I smelled a candle and it reminded me of my Pawpaw (in a good way!) It almost takes you back...
You and I are alot alike. I love all the preparation and this year it is extra fun, because everything Jack sees he says "o-o-o-o-h". When he's not playing or watching sports with daddy, he is soaking up the wonder of the season!
What fun it is...and what fun it will be for you this holiday with everyone there. (Will you snap a Christmas morning photo of Jack for me?)
I love you bunches!!!
M

Lora said...

You and I are on the same track girl! I am stealing the questionnaire and posting it on my own blog!

Lora said...

You and I are on the same track girl! I am stealing the questionnaire and posting it on my own blog!

Bar L. said...

I want to see a picture of your tree!

Heather's House said...

Can't wait to see the Winter Wonderland!! Christmas is the best....

Love you