Monday, October 22, 2007

A Better World Begins With Us


For the largest percentage of people who read here we have all ironically come from similiar backgrounds, beliefs and passions. In fact, no one that I know of that stops here thinks differently about most subjects than I do. It still is so interesting to me that we somehow "found" each other and began friendships and comment on each other's posts like friends we will see later. We live in different areas of the country, worship in different assemblies, and have different fears and loves. But, basically we are all pretty much from the same mold. If you have ever read here long you know that I have a love of family and children. I ran across this tonight in an old school folder and it touched me just like it did the first time I read it. I don't know who wrote it....maybe you do and maybe you've seen it before. This vintage picture is an old print depicting street children. Which is a part of life that many of us choose to pretend doesn't exist today. But, it does and it still is not fair that all children are not born into happiness. All I have to offer for them now is my prayers. So, I share this prayer with you .



We pray for the children who like to be tickled
Who sneak Popsicles before dinner
And can never find their shoes
And we pray also for children
Who can't run down the street in a new pair of sneakers
And who never get dessert,
Who don't have any rooms to clean up
Whose pictures aren't on anybody's dresser.
Dear Lord, we pray for children
Who spend all their allowance before Tuesday
Who throw tantrums in the grocery store,
Who pick at their food, Who squirm in church
And who scream into the phone.
And we pray also for children
Whose nightmares come in the light of day
Who rarely see a doctor, who never see a dentist
Who go to bed hungry
And who cry themselves to sleep.
Finally, we pray for those we smother with love,
And we pray especially for those who will grab the hand of anybody
Kind enough to hold it.

5 comments:

Donna G said...

Amen...
those picutres hurt as bad as my babies goose egg!

a Pocket Angel said...

Hello! You are a winner in my banner give-a-way. Please email me to let me know if you want a regular or holiday banner. If you have an idea of what you would like me to design for you let me know and I'll see what I can do.
~Mary~ IsabellasCloset@aol.com

Heather's House said...

mom! your a winner! :)


great post! I love you.

Giggi said...

That is such a sweet poem. We are all so rotten. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I'm putting that prayer on my bulletin board at work!