Monday, June 04, 2007

Resident Meterologist


"It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a "freshly stained deck." quote by Dave Barry but adapted to fit my situation.......
We hurried home from church last night to make a run to Walmart and purchase yet another color of stain to go over the last color that I did not like. On the way back we noticed some omnious black clouds off to the north but hubby having the built in meterologist radars that he thinks he has , mumbled something like, " It won't come this way it is going around us." This sixth sense he has comes from 1.) being a man and knowing everything 2.) His ranching background. He can stick his finger in the air and tell direction. He can see a herd of cattle and predict the weather by their mannerisms. He is the plethora of the Farmers Journal book of knowledge. He knows grasses, weeds, wild animal calls, mating rituals, river routes, tractor engines, he plants by seasons/moons. He will pull an armadillo out of hole with his bare hands. He hunts wild animals. He is the fire ants worst nightmare. He knows pesticides, poisons, and weed killers. Well you get what I mean. Weather watching goes along with that. We grabbed a quick supper at Schlotzkey's and headed home listening to the rumbling of thunder and lightening off in the distance of the storm that was "going to go around us". Although it was almost 8:30ish when we hit the driveway I turned on the whine, excuse me, the precious charm, and said something like, "Puhleeeeeeeeeeze can't we (you) just finish staining the deck before dark so I can see if I like this color? Puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze. There is enough porch light to be able to see. After all the storm is going around us." I mean I had just painted 3 million spindles and I'm ready to get this project behind me so I can start another one! Have I mentioned that I have a little restlessness when a project nears completion? So, knowing he is no match against me when this is the situation, he started rolling on the stain. No sooner, and I swear not a millisecond after he rolled the last little plank, the heavens opened and it rained like it hasn't rained in say, 2 weeks! Except this time the thunder and lightening came with it and had I had any sense I would have been scared out of my wits. Then, no sooner had we ( he ) washed the roller out by the porch light, the power went out. So, for the next 2 hours I shone my flashlight out on the deck to see what it looked like. No power was on until sometime in the middle of the night. I finally gave up trekking to the door with my Mighty Magna Light to sneak a peek, and went to bed amid the thunderous roars and lightening streaks that were threatening to ruin my freshly stained deck. It's a covered deck but a small portion is not and rain like we had does blow on, in and around! It's 6AM and I am waiting for the first ray of morning light to see if our stain withheld the beating of Mother Nature. I hope it's okay. I sure would hate for him to have to stain again since the storm didn't go around us. I knew it wouldn't.

2 comments:

Kelley said...

PAALEEESE send us some of that rain to North Alabama!

paul said...

I wish I knew all that stuff...